How a Small Business Consultant Can Help You Create a Marketing Strategy
May 16, 2015
Any astute business owner understands that effective and clever marketing is essential for success during both good and bad economic times. This issue, finding it difficult to adapt current marketing strategies to the economic climate, is present today. Not surprising - if you want to successfully promote your business, it is essential you have prior marketing knowledge and experience that many small businesses do not have in-house.
But...there is a solution - small business consultants. These are professionally trained individuals who can help a small business connect or reconnect with customers while promoting their products and services in a more efficient manner.
The Role of a Small Business Consultant
How do you know if you need a business consultant? First, you must understand the role of a consultant regarding marketing. They will:
- Review the existing marketing strategy
- Assist you in creating a new, more effective marketing strategy
- Help implement the new strategy seamlessly for better results
When you start your search for a small business consultant, you will find there are ones who work for large consulting agencies, as well as self-employed independent consultants. Each of these options will provide solutions you are looking for. The key is to find a consultant who you connect with, has the background and experience you need, and the fees fit into your company's budget
Whether your business is a startup or already in existence, an experienced consultant will help ensure you make the most of every marketing dollar in your budget. They will also review the marketing strategies you have in place and make sure they will work today, as well as in the future.
Expectations of a Small Business Consultant Regarding Marketing
A professional business consultant should provide the following regarding marketing:
- Be experienced in a number of different marketing strategies and techniques
- Have the ability to offer fresh, new, and unique strategies that are tailored to your specific business goals and your target audience
- Have experience to adequately assess the current strategies you have in place and, identify problematic issues, and recommend viable solutions
- Handle any problems that may arise during the marketing strategy efficiently and effectively
- Provide regular reports of the impact of the new marketing strategy
- Communicate with you regularly and make suggestions to further help the strategy in place
The Consultant's Overall Role
The consultant you hire will play an essential role in your business’ success. He or she can evaluate your company's strategic plan and goals, find current issues, and then develop a revised plan for improving results and profit. The consultant can work with you to implement a new plan and provide updates regarding its effectiveness.
When you consider hiring a consultant, find one who has expertise and proven proficiency in the small business consulting – a field all its own. Let an expert review where your business has been and where it should be in the future. Your employees can then concentrate on current operations leaving the review and planning to you and your small business consultant.
Posted by Richard Weinberger, PhD, CPA
Chief Executive Officer
Association of Accredited Small Business Consultants